Backend Software Engineer, Deliverability
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, December 9, 2023
Front is a customer operations platform that enables support, sales, and account management teams to deliver exceptional service at scale. Front streamlines customer communication by combining the efficiency of a help desk and the familiarity of email, with automated workflows and real-time collaboration behind the scenes. With Front, teams can centralize messages across channels, route them to the right person, and unlock visibility and insights across all of their customer operations.
More than 8,000 businesses across many different industries (manufacturing, logistics, travel, financial services, tech, etc.) use Front to drive operational efficiency that prevents churn, improves retention, and propels customer growth. Backed by Sequoia Capital and Salesforce Ventures, Front has raised $204M from leading venture capital firms and independent investors including top executives at Atlassian, Okta, Qualtrics, Zoom, and PagerDuty. Front has received numerous Great Place to Work accolades, including Y Combinator's list of Top Companies in 2023, #4 on Fortune’s Best Workplaces in the Bay Area™, Inc. Magazine's 2022 Best Workplaces list, Forbes Best Startup Employers 2022 List, and Best workplaces for Millennials 2022 list.
We are looking for an experienced backend engineer to join the team responsible for the core systems that power Front - the pipeline that connects Front to the external world - which process millions of events delivering emails, SMS, and other messages to and from Front quickly and reliably. As you can imagine, this means a lot of responsibility and a tremendous amount of impact. The systems that you will work on need to be performant, scalable and reliable, all at once.
What will you be doing?
- Own key services that power Front and lead architectural evolutions to build for reliability and scale.
- Collaborate with other systems and infrastructure teams to build the next-generation architecture.
- Collaborate closely with product managers, product designers and other engineers to conceptualize, build, and test new product features.
What skills and experience do you need?
- Product mindset, we’re a product company on a mission to "advance how people work”
- Industry experience working on backend systems at a large-scale Internet service
- Strong track record of launching and delivering projects of significant complexity and high level of ambiguity
- Experience architecting, deploying and operating asynchronous work queues, high-volume storage systems, or high-throughput systems
- Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Full professional English proficiency
- Experience working on software systems built on Amazon Web Services
- Deep knowledge of the email stack and assorted RFCs
- Experience with anti-spam infrastructure to prevent bad actors from exploiting an email service
- Built deep integrations with an email delivery service like SendGrid, MailGun, Mandrill or SparkPost
- Experience with Gmail or Office 365 APIs
- Experience with Kafka
Visas: Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa at this time
The San Francisco hiring salary range for this full-time position is $153,000 - $200,000 USD. Individual compensation packages are based on factors unique to each candidate, including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, training, and market conditions. At Front, we take a market-based approach to pay. In addition to cash compensation (base salary, which may include commissions or overtime pay where applicable), Fronteers are eligible to receive equity in the company. This resource will provide additional information on our location zone designations. If you have questions, please speak with a member of our recruiting team for additional information.
These ranges may be modified by Front at our sole discretion in the future
What we offer
✨ Competitive salary
🤝 Equity (we are post-series D & backed by some of the best VCs in the US)
🏥 Private health insurance fully covered by Front
💪 Flexible Fridays - learn more here!
🏡 Flexibility to work from home 3 days/week (unless posted as a full-remote role)
🛋 Mental health support with Modern Health
🍼 Family planning support with Maven
Front provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.