Back-end Engineer (Marketing Technology)
At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
The Preply Engineering Team provides the tools to help unlock human potential through learning.
We work primarily with Python/Django to build scalable and robust applications. We implement A/B tests to prove the value of our initiatives and improve our product based on data and students and tutors feedback. As part of our commitment to ensuring high-quality products, we prioritize monitoring and metrics analysis to identify areas for optimization and ensure our services are performing at their best. Our team is made up of talented engineers who are passionate about solving complex problems and developing innovative solutions to drive our company's success.
At Preply, we release our product 50-60 times per day by leveraging top-notch CI/CD processes. As a fast-growing company we have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we even write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills at scale.
Meet the team!
As the Backend Engineer within our MarTech team, we’re looking for an autonomous problem-solver who is eager to understand the intricacies of marketing. With this understanding, you will independently craft tech and data solutions, and be a key driver of Preply’s Growth.
What you’ll be doing:
Collaborating with stakeholders: Work closely with marketing to understand their challenges and convert these into technical solutions.
System Design: Design efficient system architectures that align with team goals, constraints and schedules.
Implementation: Take on the responsibility of writing services from initial concept to full-fledged deployment.
- Prioritisation: Strike a balance between delivering fast results and maintaining high-quality, sustainable systems.
What you need to succeed:
Python Proficiency: Our primary coding language is Python, so you should be proficient in it or willing and able to quickly adapt to using it for product development.
Understanding Architectural Patterns: We operate at a large scale, which requires you to have experience in solving problems and building services that are efficient and can handle significant user traffic and data processing.
Proactive Problem-Solving: You will be expected to face and solve challenges independently, both in the codebase and in our product initiatives.
Communication Skills: Good at working with others and communicating effectively in English at a B2 level or higher.
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- Open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture.
- Generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com .
- Learning & Development budget, including time off for your self-development.
- Competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance.
- Access to free mental health support platforms.
- Access to Gympass-partnered wellness and gym centers throughout Spain to promote and support well-being and physical health;
- Flexible set-up with the option of paid relocation to Barcelona, or working remotely within a close time zone.
- Opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors from over 175 countries through language learning and teaching.
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.