Senior Product Manager (Machine Learning)
At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
Meet the team:
As a product team, our goal is to improve the life of our students and our tutors, drive amazing learning outcomes for our learners and enable our tutors to financially thrive through the platform. And we want to do this all while generating business value for Preply so we can help even more people! We strongly believe that we can't achieve business success without our students' and tutors' success.
Preply is a product led company. As part of the product team, you will have a direct impact on the company's growth and strategy with high visibility to our C-suite and leadership team. You will be empowered to operate independently with a dedicated cross functional team to build amazing products and take them from inception to launch to scale!
What you’ll be doing:
The ranking algorithm is a critical component of our edtech marketplace as it directly influences the quality of matches between language learners and tutors. It determines the relevance and personalization of the tutor suggestions provided to learners, thereby significantly impacting user satisfaction, engagement, and ultimately, the success of our learners, tutors and of the platform as a whole.
As a Senior Product manager working on ranking, you will:
- Own the vision of our ranking algorithm:, You will own the vision for the ranking algorithm. This involves setting the strategic direction for how the algorithm will evolve to better serve the needs of our users. You will articulate this vision to both technical and non-technical stakeholders, ensuring everyone understands and is aligned with this vision. This includes defining the key objectives of the algorithm, making strategic decisions about its development, and guiding the team towards this vision through every stage of the product lifecycle.
- Be the voice of our customers and tutors: In a data product, it’s easy to forget there are real humans searching for tutors. You will be expected to go deep, monitor and analyze user behavior data to understand user needs and preferences. Use these insights to refine the ranking algorithm and improve the overall user experience, ensuring learners find the most suitable tutors and vice versa.
- Be data driven: Analyze and make nuanced use of data, through our in-house tool, to truly understand how our users interact with our platform, and evaluate the business impact of new features and experiences
- Ensure Cross-functional Collaboration: Collaborate with other product teams, engineering, data science, marketing, and customer service teams to ensure the ranking algorithm aligns with broader product goals and strategies. Facilitate communication between these teams to ensure a unified approach to product development.
- Be a leader: Inspire the team with a vision and work cross-functionally to bring the product to life. Become an authority on your product area and identify areas of opportunity through deep customer insight, research, and data.
You are able to lead a cross functional team, gathering the inputs and reconcile the different perspectives of Data Scientists and Engineers to align everyone under a common strategy.
- What this role is not: We are not looking for Pixel pusher / box mover / color changer. We expect the successful candidate to truly empathize with our users and to challenge the status quo to completely re-imagine the experience for our users.
What you need to succeed:
- You have worked on data products leveraging machine learning, and are able to discuss algorithm at a deep enough level with the team
- You have experience working with data engineers and data scientists
- You possess strong analytical abilities and live and breathe data.
- You are a strong communicator, able to inspire and align your team and stakeholders to the end vision.
- You have substantial experience in product management
- You have experience building a product in a fast paced, and rapid growth environment.
- You possess the ability to support multiple initiatives at different phases of development.
- You deeply understand how your products work and how to measure long-term impact. You know every step of the funnel. You can design, run, and interpret experiments and A/B tests.
- You care about the users using your product, and value quantitative data.
- You’re a natural leader. You know how to influence people to get things done across any job function. People love working with you.
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture;
- A generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com, Learning & Development budget and time off for your self-development;
- A competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance;
- Access to free mental health support platforms;
- The opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors through language learning and teaching in 175 countries (and counting!).
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.