Application Security Engineer
At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
The Preply Engineering Team provides the tools to help unlock human potential through learning.
We work primarily with Python/Django to build scalable and robust applications. We implement A/B tests to prove the value of our initiatives and improve our product based on data and students and tutors feedback. As part of our commitment to ensuring high-quality products, we prioritize monitoring and metrics analysis to identify areas for optimization and ensure our services are performing at their best. Our team is made up of talented engineers who are passionate about solving complex problems and developing innovative solutions to drive our company's success.
At Preply, we release our product 50-60 times per day by leveraging top-notch CI/CD processes. As a fast-growing company we have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we even write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills at scale.
Meet the Team!
Our Security Engineers are an integral part of our cross-functional teams and are responsible for technical security concerns, AppSec, Security Operations and security incident response. As an Application Security Engineer your focus is on helping secure our development lifecycle, while being exposed to the whole platform from architecture and design to production. You will have the unique opportunity of having an impact all across Preply, supporting our mission.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leverage your deep security knowledge to secure our applications.
- Use your coding and secure practices deep knowledge to develop secure code and tools.
- Integrate application security best practices as part of our Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Handle our vulnerability management process.
- Share your knowledge and findings with our Engineering Chapter, fostering a culture of security awareness and learning.
- Collaborate and engage with various stakeholders, using your influence to integrate security practices across the company.
- Review and bolster the security of our CI/CD pipeline.
- Participate in managing our bug bounty program, triaging submissions, and driving fixes.
- Participate in our on-call rotation and incident response efforts.
What you need to succeed:
- Excellent communication skills, able to drive security-focused conversations with stakeholders.
- Strong web application security knowledge, with a clear understanding of threats, vulnerabilities, and mitigation tactics.
- Proficiency in Python or other scripting languages, preferably with experience in secure coding or security tool development.
- Deep understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Experience in dependency management and vulnerability management.
- Familiarity with industry security standards such as OWASP Top 10 and SANS Top 25.
- A commitment to continuous learning, staying current with emerging security practices and technologies.
Nice to have:
- Previous development experience.
- Knowledge of Django or other Python-based web frameworks.
- Experience in Docker, Kubernetes and containers in general is not required but a plus.
- Experience in managing or participating in bug bounty programs.
- Knowledge of mobile security practices is a huge plus.
- Previous experience in a fast-paced environment with high-frequency product releases.
- Understanding of compliance regulations such as GDPR and SOC2.
- Experience in incident response.
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- Open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture
- Generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com
- Learning & Development budget, including time off for your self-development
- Competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance
- Access to free mental health support platforms
- Flexible set-up with the option of paid relocation to Barcelona, or working remotely within a close time zone
- Opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors from over 175 countries through language learning and teaching
But there’s more. At Preply, we focus on doing better every day – pushing the limits of what we know is possible. And we know our purpose is strong. We’re re-engineering education, providing outstanding experiences for our global community of language learners and building authentic connections across the world. You’ll get to be a part of our online learning innovation!
Propelled by a tenfold increase in revenues over the last three years, thanks to our best-in-class consumer and B2B products, Preply is now leading the online language tutoring segment globally and has 500+ employees of over 50 nationalities based across Barcelona, Kyiv and the US.
We do extraordinary things at Preply – and we want you to join us. If you’re committed to curiosity, love experimentation and relish the challenge of exploring new ideas, then it’s time we say:
Welcome to The World Class.
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.