Data Scientist - Insights (Product - First Lesson Experience)
Preply is a global language learning marketplace, connecting 50,000+ tutors with millions of learners from all over the world. Since the company launched in 2012, students have signed up to more than 15 million lessons.
Meet the team!
At Preply, we are constantly running hundreds of AB tests, each with specific tracking and analytic requirements. This, along with the wide scope of our product and the sophistication of the tutor/learner interactions, makes for some rewarding challenges.
We have an outstanding data science organization, with a mission to enable the highest quality decision-making. We work throughout the company - in the product, business, and platform teams - using analysis, experimentation, causal inference, and machine learning techniques. We are uniquely placed to use data to help make better decisions and improve data literacy across Preply.
You’ll be embedded in cross-functional teams and work closely with product managers, tech leads, designers, etc. to provide our tutors and learners with the best product experience.
Visit our Tech Radar to learn about the technologies we use at Preply!
What you’ll be doing:
- Master the dynamics of tutors/learners interaction and the economics of Preply’s marketplace;
- Leave your mark on an exciting new product: Group Classes! Be at the cutting edge of product and feature development within Preply, as we take a new strategic direction to help people learn together;
- Support one of our key pillars: Payments & Subscriptions! A rewarding part of the product, where even small improvements can bring positive impact to our customers and business metrics;
- Produce thorough data analytics of customer behavior and product usage, effectively communicating them to technical and non-technical audiences;
- Quantify the impact of new product features and initiatives in order to identify growth opportunities and help prioritize our roadmap;
- Design, execute and evaluate experiments on a global scale;
- Collaborate with the Data Strategy team to define standards and best practices as well as sharing knowledge and capabilities across the team;
- Participate in the definition of tracking events, engagement metrics and key performance indicators;
- Build relationships and collaborate with other data and/or technical leaders;
- Be a flexible data leader across the whole product spectrum;
- Partner with the team’s Product Manager to refine product initiatives into lean, experiment-led technical implementations;
- Work with the Data Engineering team to model data in our Data Warehouse and productionize your data pipelines;
- Work closely with our BI experts to develop effective data visualizations, reports and dashboards.
What you need to succeed:
- Experience as a Data Scientist (around 4 years' experience minimum, more preferably);
- Good understanding of data analysis concepts such as conversion, LTV/CAC, Cohort analysis, Retention, etc.;
- Ability to confidently apply data science techniques, such as statistical modeling, in a marketplace context;
- Knowledge or experience in A/B testing and experiment design;
- Strong coding skills in one or more analytics languages (SQL, Python, etc.);
- Strong curiosity, problem solving and problem finding skills;
- Creative mindset and proactive attitude towards the creation and evaluation of new hypotheses;
- Good written and verbal communication skills. B1 English is a must.
Nice to have:
- Previous experience in Marketplaces and/or digital businesses (B2B, B2C, B2B2C);
- Knowledge of Looker, Tableau, Amplitude or other BI tools;
- Knowledge of version controlling tools (GitHub, GitLab, etc.).
- Masters degree or PhD in statistics, economics, econometrics, or a relevant field of applied mathematics (or equivalent business experience).
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture;
- A generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com, Learning & Development budget and time off for your self-development;
- A competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance;
- Access to free mental health support platforms;
- A flexible set-up with the option of paid relocation to Barcelona or working remotely within CET or 3 hours from CET;
- The opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors through language learning and teaching in 175 countries (and counting!).
At Preply, we focus on doing better every day – pushing the limits of what we know is possible. And we know our purpose is strong. We’re re-engineering education, providing outstanding experiences for our global community of language learners and building authentic connections across the world.
Propelled by a tenfold increase in revenues over the last three years, thanks to our best-in-class consumer and b2b products, Preply is now leading the online language tutoring segment globally and has 400+ employees of over 50 nationalities based across Barcelona, Kyiv and the US. We do extraordinary things at Preply – and we want you to join us. If you’re committed to curiosity, love experimentation and relish the challenge of exploring new ideas, then it’s time we said:
Welcome to The World Class.
- Human: We embrace diversity by fostering inclusive environments where people feel respected and safe to express their opinions.
- Hungry: We make bold, data-informed decisions to deliver high-impact solutions for our customers.
- Humble: We experiment continuously by staying open to being challenged, learning from failures and making data-informed decisions.
- Hackers: We learn by doing, focus on things that matter and move with incredible speed to create simple, creative, and scalable solutions;
- Curious: We thrive on facing challenges, diving deep to identify root causes and uncovering insights to continuously improve.
- Learners Obsessed: We put our learners at the core of everything we do to improve the effectiveness of their language learning with us.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
That means that Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.