At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
Meet the team!We lead and align engineering teams with Preply's vision maximizing value for the team, for Preply customers, and for the business.
As EMs, we are deeply involved in people, business, products, marketing, and technologies. In partnership with product managers, we look for business opportunities and take them to bring the company to the next level.
The manager’s main function is not about executing everything by themselves, but rather setting up a favorable environment that will improve the execution process and make it more efficient over time. Engineers from 2 cross-functional product squads (approximately 8 - 10 people) will report to this position.
Visit our Tech Radar to learn more about the technologies we use at Preply.
What you’ll be doing:
- Drive positive business outcomes;
- Build, manage and develop high-performing teams;
- Develop, inspire, mentor, and evaluate your engineering teams. Lead and support them through change and ensure engineering culture to be customer and business centric;
- Ensure adherence to engineering best practices, including workflow improvement, code review, testing pyramid, SLO etc.
- Create a positive team culture (e.g. curious, mutually challenging, trusting and collaborative);
- Collaborate with cross-functional peers and leaders to deliver and maximize value for the end-customer, develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders to achieve business goals
- Balance hands-on involvement into details with maintaining a high-level perspective, adapting quickly to changing circumstances and integrating business, people, process, and technology;
- Work within a team of Engineering Managers to promote and develop the engineering culture, and grow the engineering organization;
What you need to succeed:
- Exceptional communication skills;
- Ability to speak two “languages”: language of business and tech. language;
- Business sense, entrepreneurial spirit;
- 3+ years of experience in building, leading, and scaling development teams;
- Technical proficiency, a strong awareness of current mobile & web technologies, trends, products, tools, and design standards;
- Motivation and drive to use innovative technologies and approaches, adopt artificial intelligence for operational and business efficiency, continuously grow yourself and others;
- Experience in Product Development and digital marketing in an online marketplace or ed-tech business or fast-growing internet startups with a strong focus on customers and growth is an advantage;
- Experience scaling engineering organizations to the next levels, for example, 200-500 engineers will be an advantage
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- Open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture
- Generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com
- Learning & Development budget, including time off for your self-development
- Competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance
- Access to free mental health support platforms
- Flexible set-up with the option of paid relocation to Barcelona, or working remotely within a close time zone
- Opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors from over 175 countries through language learning and teaching
But there’s more. At Preply, we focus on doing better every day – pushing the limits of what we know is possible. And we know our purpose is strong. We’re re-engineering education, providing outstanding experiences for our global community of language learners and building authentic connections across the world. You’ll get to be a part of our online learning innovation!
Propelled by a tenfold increase in revenues over the last three years, thanks to our best-in-class consumer and B2B products, Preply is now leading the online language tutoring segment globally and has 500+ employees of over 50 nationalities based across Barcelona, Kyiv and the US.
We do extraordinary things at Preply – and we want you to join us. If you’re committed to curiosity, love experimentation and relish the challenge of exploring new ideas, then it’s time we say:
Welcome to The World Class.
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.