Design System Senior Engineer
Preply is a global language learning marketplace, connecting 50,000+ tutors with millions of learners worldwide. Since the company launched in 2012, students have signed up for more than 15 million lessons.Backed by some of the world’s leading investors, Preply is on a mission to shape the future of effective learning. Fuelled by a belief that live engagement with a teacher is still the most effective way to learn a new skill, Preply is building a personalised learning space that will enable individual learners to reach their goals the fastest way possible.
Meet the team!
Our cross-disciplinary Design System team is responsible for a comprehensive collection of patterns, guidelines, and tools that enables our product teams to build a coherent experience across the product, with less waste and technical debt and a faster time to market, ultimately improving the experience for Preply’s tutors and learners.
We start by understanding the needs of Preply designers and engineers applying our evolving design language in a fast paced environment. We then collaborate with other teams to design and develop contributions to the system and to ensure the system is applied correctly in the production pipeline.
We continuously refine our documentation, tools, and processes, applying rigorous feedback loops to everything we do. We are drivers of culture change, advocates for design thinking, strong principles, and best practices.
We are currently looking for a Senior Front-end developer, passionate about the vision of our product, to join our Design System Squad.
As a Design System Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate with product, design, engineering, and stakeholders to gather requirements and align the roadmap with organizational needs.
- Lead the implementation and/or adoption of already existing in the industry of reusable components, patterns, and features throughout all development phases.
- Develop and maintain the system's support tools, such as build systems, code generators, and testing automation.
- Plan and prioritize your work due to OKRs based on the success metrics of the Design system (while continuously improving them).
- Build and contribute to the long-term roadmaps for Design system, continuously aligning stakeholders on expectations, estimates and progress
- Create and maintain high-quality documentation, including tutorials, demos, and guides.
- Mentor and guide other engineers in the team and organization through knowledge sharing and code reviews.
- Collaborate with other engineers to implement contributions to the Design System while ensuring adherence to high standards and governance policies.
- Continuously contribute to improving the team’s ways of working.
What we are looking for:
- Ability and readiness to prioritise your work based on the estimated impact on our end users. This might include choosing not-perfect solutions or adopting ones that already exist rather than developing them from scratch.
- 5+ years of experience in front-end engineering, either in product or platform teams.
- Expertise in developing design systems and reusable components.
- Knowledgable of accessibility standards and best practices.
- Proficiency with front-end frameworks such as React, Next.js, React Native or similar.
- Experience with user research and usability testing.
- Exposure to design tools such as Figma, Sketch, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent problem-solving and both verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
What we offer:
- An opportunity for personal and professional growth, supported by high-functioning teams, stellar investors, and the exciting challenges that come with joining a company at the start of its growth trajectory;
- An environment free of bureaucracy and corporate constraints, a culture where your opinion is highly valued and appreciated;
- An open, collaborative, dynamic, and international culture;
- A monthly allowance for self-development on Preply.com
- A competitive financial package, with generous leave allowance and health insurance.
- Human: We embrace diversity by fostering inclusive environments where people feel respected and safe to express their opinions.
- Hungry: We make bold, data-informed decisions to deliver high-impact solutions for our customers.
- Humble: We experiment continuously by staying open to being challenged, learning from failures, and making data-informed decisions.
- Hackers: We learn by doing, focus on things that matter, and move with incredible speed to create simple, creative, and scalable solutions.
- Curious: We thrive on facing challenges, diving deep to identify root causes, and uncovering insights to continuously improve.
- Learners Obsessed: We put our learners at the core of everything we do to improve the effectiveness of their language learning with us.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Preply.com is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people of diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe that the presence of different opinions and viewpoints is a key ingredient for our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company. That means that Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status.