Product Engineer- Backend
Ontruck is transforming the road transportation industry, €600 billion just in Europe. We make trucking simple, transparent and on-demand.
Ontruck is a B2B logistics platform, connecting companies looking to move freight with our network of carriers. We offer shippers a web platform to make the process of finding the right truck quick and simple with built-in track and trace. Carriers are able to accept shipments through a mobile app, letting them grow and manage their business with ease.
Our team has deep experience in building great products and companies. We know success, we know failure; we have built platforms from scratch, we have dealt with large legacy systems. We care about each other and about the product and services we are building.
Ontruck is backed by some the top investors in Europe.
What will you be doing?
You will work in a cross-functional team using agile methodologies. Therefore you will get involved early in the design process, you aren’t just getting tickets and writing code! You will make an impact helping to decide what we build and how we build it.
You will be responsible for solving problems through technology, creating new features and products to meet the needs of our customers while keeping in mind the functional needs of highly-scalable and automated systems.
Understanding well the problems, designing sound solutions and architectures, delivering quality code, testing, documenting, deploying and taking care of cross-platform compatibility will be some of your responsibilities.
Sounds good? Keep reading :)
- You enjoy tough challenges, both product-wise and technical, and like to contribute your views.
- Solid experience in back-end development and proven experience building and optimizing RESTful APIs. You have experience with Python/Django; we know that good engineers pick new languages and frameworks quickly, just at this point we need background on this technology.
- You care about the product you're building and the problem you're solving, not just about the technology you're using. You take pride in choosing the best technical solution for a problem by taking all constraints into account, instead of chasing the latest shiny not-ready-for-production technology for the sake of it.
- Knowledge designing and developing new services as we separate products from the monolithic platform and build a system that scales.
- You enjoy gathering the complete picture of a technical challenge, from the DevOps side to a solution on your expertise or implying learning/creating new tools and systems.
- You have a degree (self-learned might work as well but elaborate on how you got your knowledge in computer science) in something like math, engineering, or physics and you have significant knowledge in computer science, networks, algorithms, data structures, and design patterns.
- You enjoy working in a team and appreciate modern development techniques such as code reviews, pair programming, high-coverage testing, DevOps, and automating things. You are polite when reviewing other people's work and take it well when you get feedback on yours.
- You take ownership and pride in your work and want to make a positive impact to our customers. You own what you do from understanding the "why" up until making sure that everything works in production the way it was expected.
- You have reviewed our culture and feel that you fit well there and also we fit well with your personal style and values.
- We have a decoupled architecture, based on REST APIs and asynchronous services. We work with React in the frontend platforms (customers and admin), native in mobile apps (truck drivers), and Python/Django in the transactional backend. Our DB is PostgreSQL and the queues run on RabbitMQ.
- Our infra is built on Google Cloud Platform using Kubernetes, managed and evolved by all engineers.
- We use Jenkins as our main CI system and Datadog and Sentry for observability.
- We use a dedicated ERP to avoid reinventing the wheel there and we also have built a DWH/Analytics platform that takes advantage of external solutions.
Ontruck's engineers help drive our products from the very roots in a collaborative way. By doing it, we come to value:
- Versatile engineers over highly specialised individuals
- Adding value to our product over adding value to our tech stack
- Rock solid over Rock star
- In production over "my part is done"
- Problem solvers over problem raisers
That is, while there is value in the items on the right, we value the items on the left more.