Manager, Technical Support & Engineering
DOES YOUR DEFINITION OF SUCCESS MEAN EMPOWERING OTHERS?
Then the Customer Success team might be the place for you!
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. We work with small home service businesses, like your local plumbers, painters, and landscapers, to transform the way service is delivered through technology. With Jobber they can quote, schedule, invoice, and collect payments from their customers, while providing an easy and professional customer experience. Running a small business today isn’t like it used to be—the way we consume and deliver service is changing rapidly, technology is evolving, and customers expect more. That’s why we put the power and flexibility in their hands to run their businesses how, where, and when they want!
Our culture of transparency, inclusivity, collaboration, and innovation has been recognized by Great Place to Work, Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, and more. Jobber has also been named on the Globe and Mail’s Canada’s Top Growing Companies list, and Deloitte Canada’s Technology Fast 50™, Enterprise Fast 15, and Technology Fast 500™ lists. With an Executive team that has over thirty years of industry experience of leading the way, we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011—but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
We help our employees grow professionally; we have a ton of onboarding resources, tutorials, hackathons and buddies to support learnings and provide opportunities to innovate. We have a range of experience levels on teams which allow for mentor/mentee opportunities. Leaders at Jobber work with empathy and support employees to build a healthy work-life harmony. Bring your dedication and passion to this job to fulfill your goals.
If our company values were a department, they would be the Customer Success team; they are humble, supportive, and truly give a sh*t about making sure our customers are successful in Jobber. This group is one that cares about authentic interactions. While you’re empowering customers every day, your team will motivate each other to be your true and weird self. Don’t believe me? Meet your future team here.
At Jobber we never stop growing and learning, and you shouldn’t either. Through continuous 1:1s, dedicated feedback and support from your manager and our Learning and Development team, and your own sense of curiosity, we hope you develop to another level with your skill set.
Our tiered support team supports both our customers and our support representatives to ensure the quality of escalations remains exceptional. You will be working with a team of technical experts and software engineers to troubleshoot and triage issues, perform production data fixes for customer accounts, complete engineering tasks that solve simple problems or fill gaps left in internal tooling. In this role, you’ll support and develop your team, adapting it to changes, while rolling up your sleeves to work on problems with them.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Customer Specialized Support, the Manager, Technical Support + Engineering will work with members of your team to support and develop their skills and careers as we work together to empower small businesses. In addition, you will be included in the strategic direction of how we work as a team.
The Manager, Technical Support + Engineering will:
- Manage a team of 2 technical support engineers by performing 1:1’s, coaching, and documenting career plans based off of engineering levels by performing 1:1’s, coaching, and documenting career plans based off of engineering levels.
- Collaborate with other leaders and departments at Jobber (Product, Design, Success, Sales) to ensure that teams understand the impact, risks or severity of technical issues.
- Create cross-functional buy-in to either fix or maintain Jobber’s product or tools and systems.
- Drive and encourage feedback loops to help amplify customer impact to both technical teams and support teams.
- Break down and explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences to create clarity and set correct expectations to all stakeholders.
- Be agile and adaptable in a very fast-paced environment. We’re growing fast and things are changing every day - what worked yesterday might not anymore. You need to be invigorated by this type of environment, and be excited by a new challenge.
- Strive for execution excellence through the optimization of our platforms/tools.
- Analyze, communicate, re-communicate (and maybe even obsess a bit) over success metrics.
- Remove roadblocks and build guardrails to create an environment where people can rapidly produce top-quality work that ultimately helps our customers be successful.
- Become an ambassador of our culture by being humble, supportive - and someone who truly gives a shit!
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Previous team lead experience
- Proven experience of tiered technical support in SAAS environment
- Proficiency in writing code in a few different languages - ideally Ruby.
- A track record of ambitious career growth, exceptional customer support and the ability to motivate others to do the same.
- An understanding of JIRA and any other methodology of getting the data you need to be successful.
- To think big, yet manage the details. You can see the big picture, but are also laser focused on delivery and execution.
- Next level communication and relationship building abilities. We move fast, which means you’ll need to build a high degree of trust with peers and key stakeholders.
- An incredible passion for our customer and a connection to our purpose - to help small businesses be more successful.
- Effective communication. Being transparent with your team and establishing an open dialogue will be a key to success in supporting your coaching conversations and discussions.
- To be a leader and mentor. You’ll bring your shared experience into conversations to influence and provide constructive feedback to direct reports throughout the journey to ensure goals are being met and exceeded
It would be really great (but not a deal-breaker) if you had:
- Previous People Leader or Management experience.
- Experience using Ruby on Rails in a production environment
- Experience using TypeScript and React in a production environment
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!
Something looks off?