HappyCo (Happy Inspector)
Accounting & Finance
United States · Remote
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
HappyCo is a company where people can grow their careers and work with like minded people, with no egos or politics. HappyCo is values driven and offers a flexible, supportive culture. Join HappyCo and Make Work Happy!
We’re looking for an experienced VP Finance to join our team, located in the western United States.
The VP Finance will be responsible for the financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting as well as development of internal controls and procedures at HappyCo. The person filling this role will serve as the Company expert on all US finance and accounting matters. The VP Finance will provide support to the CFO in liaising with internal and external parties in US time zones.
Positions directly supervised (people reporting to you):
The Finance Team - Finance Manager (incl. FP&A), Finance Operations Analyst, Billing Coordinator
Internal/ External Relationships:
Internal - All departments and principally the People Team, Sales & Marketing, and Leadership team
External - bank, auditors, tax accountants, lawyers, investors
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL Accounting including Revenue Recognition
- Lead and improve preparation and publishing of timely monthly, quarterly, half year and annual consolidated financial statements in compliance with US GAAP
- Research technical accounting issues to ensure compliance with relevant US statutes
- Coordinate activities of external auditors (as necessary)
- Manage and Improve the financial close processes
- Oversee the annual budget
- Work closely with departments to produce monthly/ quarterly forecasts
- Complete the annual company financial audit
- Evaluate and maintain accounting and internal control systems
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
Salaries, Commissions, 401k other staff costs
- Responsible for managing payroll administrator function ensuring valid and accurate payment and recording of US and Canadian semi-monthly salary payments
- Responsible for reviewing commissions calculation
- (Australian payroll oversight from FP&A based in Australia)
Taxes - To ensure compliance with US and Canadian tax obligations
- Management of the analysis and and preparation of local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Responsible for State registrations (Secretary of State and Revenue Office) as required
- (Australian Tax Compliance is the responsibility of the FP&A based in Australia)
- Hiring, training, mentoring, managing, and retaining team of accounting professionals
- Provide coverage in times of leave absence
- Oversee and support accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity
- Provide support to N. America employees and external 3rd parties where required
- Assist in evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed, and play a lead role in accounting systems architecture transformation projects
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree, with emphasis in accounting or finance
- CPA required
- At least 10-15 years work experience in accounting/finance; 3-5+ as a VP Finance or Corporate Controller
- Exemplary history of financial project management and strong working knowledge of detailed financial data analysis
- Experience in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment. Must have ability to roll up sleeves, pivot quickly, and communicate timely changes
- Demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to develop rapport and engender trust with internal and external stakeholders
- Unquestionable integrity and discretion
- NetSuite ERP
- High attention to detail
Preferred Qualifications & Skills
- Previous experience in a public company setting
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience working with remote/ geographically dispersed teams
- Working with international subsidiaries (multi-currency)
What we think you need to be successful
- Being able to problem solve; improving / fixing any issues
- Ability to improve and simplify existing systems and processes. The company implemented NetSuite (GL), Ordway (new billing application) and has been re-integrating the FP&A tools. There is a large opportunity to better leverage these new systems.
Main technologies used:
- NetSuite (GL)
- Brex (Procurement)
- Cube and Mosaic (FP&A)
- Ordway (Billing)
- Justworks, Xero, Wage Point, Deel (Payroll)
Week by Week
During your first 2-4 weeks you will:
Get to know our leadership, culture, and values
Complete our HappyCo orientation and onboarding program
Onboard with the Finance Team
Familiarize yourself with our systems and tools and where to find the information necessary for the role
Read our favorite industry primers
Attend your first Company Wide Meeting (monthly)
During your first 1-6 months you will:
Get acquainted with reporting across the business (monthly, quarterly and annual reports)
Get acquainted with the different departments and their drivers
Start preparing for the audit
Support the CFO with investor liaison during US time zones
What you could expect day-to-day
Opportunities to streamline and improve processes
Initially, the role will involve learning the ropes, then being able to apply experience to the existing financial processes and structures
Founded in 2011, HappyCo (happy.co) builds mobile and cloud solutions to enable real-time property data. Our flagship product suite 'Happy Property’ has 3.5M units on its platform and has captured more than 400 million photos.
We’re everyday people with a shared purpose — improving the lives of others. Our team is made up of thinkers, talkers, planners, makers, builders and everything in between. Together, we’re turning our passions into happier communities!
When customers use our software, their communities get stronger. Our tools empower everyone in multifamily property management to improve their operations and maximize returns, which means they’re building better experiences for their residents. Learn more about our Product Vision here!
Our HappyCo Culture
HappyCo strives to build better communities. So naturally, we are dedicated to making our own community an enjoyable place that allows us do our best work. We’re devoted to building an inclusive, supportive culture that empowers each HappyCo’er to succeed and grow. To learn more about our culture, check out our Glassdoor page and our careers page!
- Work from anywhere supported by a flexible company culture
- Opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing technology companies in the PropTech industry
- Generous paid parental leave
- Competitive and equitable pay, including stock options
- Company retreats
- Access to employee assistance programs to support both physical and mental wellness
- Monthly stipends to support Wellness and Home Office expenses
Find out more about our US Employee Benefits here!
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that HappyCo upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status. HappyCo is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures.
A note to Recruitment Agencies: Please don’t reach out to us about our roles -- we’ve got it covered. We don’t accept unsolicited agency resumes and HappyCo is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.