HappyCo (Happy Inspector)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Adelaide SA, Australia
Posted on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
HappyCo is a company where people can grow their careers and work with like minded people, with no egos or politics. HappyCo is values driven and offers a flexible, supportive culture. Join HappyCo and Make Work Happy!
As an Engineering Manager at HappyCo, you will be responsible for managing engineers within our product experience teams. You will lead and mentor passionate engineers from diverse backgrounds, across different levels of expertise and use your experience building software solutions to support your team in effectively delivering rapid value to our customers. We are looking for someone who can foster a culture of ownership and positivity whilst ensuring team members are able to achieve meaningful growth while delivering outcomes.
As a senior member of our Product, Design and Engineering team you will have the opportunity to contribute to our product vision and strategy. Collaborating closely with product and design leads, you will help discover and build solutions that solve customers’ problems, meet our usability standards, are feasible to build, and are viable for our business.
Each member of our product experience teams is managed by their respective departments. Managing the engineers will require you to be able to accommodate multiple processes and collaborate with members across product, engineering, and design teams to ensure that customer needs and alignment are maintained.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering - Australia this role will be located in our new state-of-the-art office in the Adelaide CBD in either a hybrid or onsite capacity.
Week by Week
During your first 2-4 weeks you will:
- Get to know our leadership, culture, and values
- Complete our HappyCo orientation and onboarding program
- Onboard with the product leadership team and learn about our product strategy
- Familiarise yourself with our systems, tools and processes
- Participate in team planning and product design sessions
- Read our favorite industry primers
- Attend your first Company Wide Meeting (monthly)
During your first 1-6 months you will:
- Establish at a minimum a fortnightly 1:1 cadence with direct reports
- Get acquainted with our product team triads
- Share insights to help improve our hiring and onboarding processes
- Get to know our customers and the prop-tech industry
During your first 6-12 months, and beyond you will:
- Organise & Manage: Maintain suitably staffed teams with the right people in the right seats, and develop the skills of your teams
- Coach & Develop: Meet with your engineers on a regular cadence to ensure they are performing and continually progressing while delivering quality outcomes.
- Discover, Deliver & Support Enablement: Ensure your team is supported to rapidly discover, build, and deliver product to customers with all team members having a clear understanding of product outcomes.
- Ensure Team Alignment to Company Culture/ Core Values: Ensure engineers within your team are highly engaged and demonstrate alignment with our core values through team building, feedback, and continuous improvement
- Recruit & Onboard: Contribute towards creating an external HappyCo Engineering brand that supports a healthy, relevant and diverse recruitment pipeline for your team as well as ensuring new HappyCo team members can build an understanding of your product and become independently productive
What we think you need to be successful
- 2+ years of management or leadership experience either managing engineering teams or leading a delivery team
- 5+ years’ experience working in digital, product or software roles with the proven expertise in creating a customer-obsessed culture amongst a group of engineers
- Experience supporting the growth of engineers through evaluating performance and developing growth plans
- Experience in hiring and evaluating the performance of Software Engineers
- A hands-on approach to technical and people management with experience in both building high quality products and guiding engineers through technical challenges by empowering and motivating teams to do their best work
- A demonstrated ability to build strong, authentic relationships with Software Engineers across different levels of experience
- Experience working in a fast paced environment, learning from customer feedback and iterating on products
- An affinity for cross-functional team collaboration with the ability to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- You have experience managing a high-performance team in a Product/SaaS business
- You understand the value of different product and engineering processes and how to employ them based on the stage of the product
- You have experience working cross-functionally and multiplying efforts between teams
- You are experienced in understanding the needs of a varied set of customers
- You can mentor engineers on how to better understand and align with customers
- You have experience working with React, Go or Dart
- Work from anywhere supported by a flexible company culture
- Opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing technology companies in the PropTech industry
- Generous paid parental leave
- Competitive and equitable pay, including stock options
- Company retreats
- Access to employee assistance programs to support both physical and mental wellness
- Monthly stipends to support Wellness and Home Office expenses
Find out more about our AU Employee Benefits here: https://happy.co/company/careers/employee-benefits-aus
#LI - DNI
Founded in 2011, HappyCo (happy.co) builds mobile and cloud solutions to enable real-time property data. Our flagship product suite 'Happy Property’ has 3.5M units on its platform and has captured more than 400 million photos.
We’re everyday people with a shared purpose — improving the lives of others. Our team is made up of thinkers, talkers, planners, makers, builders and everything in between. Together, we’re turning our passions into happier communities!
When customers use our software, their communities get stronger. Our tools empower everyone in multifamily property management to improve their operations and maximize returns, which means they’re building better experiences for their residents. Learn more about our Product Vision here!
Our HappyCo Culture & Values
HappyCo strives to build better communities. So naturally, we are dedicated to making our own community an enjoyable place that lets us do our best work. We’re devoted to building an inclusive, supportive culture that empowers each HappyCo’er to succeed and grow. To learn more about our culture, check out our Glassdoor page and our careers page!
HappyCo’s culture is driven by our core values of Make Happiness, Stronger Together, Get Good Sh*t Done, Look Outward First and Kaizen - sounds great, right, but what does this mean for you?
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that HappyCo upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status. HappyCo is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures.
A note to Recruitment Agencies: Please don’t reach out to us about our roles -- we’ve got it covered. We don’t accept unsolicited agency resumes and HappyCo is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes