Do you want to build a tastier future through cutting-edge technologies? We are looking for a mission-driven, creative, and committed Food Technologist to join us 🦆. Come and bring your skills to the table!
GOURMEY is one of Europe's leading cultivated meat companies with global ambitions. Our vision is to create sustainable cultivated meat delights directly from animal cells for a conscious generation. We believe in a world where succulence can share a table with a positive impact and that cutting-edge technology combined with culinary arts can help us get there.
From engineers, and scientists to culinary experts, we’re building an international team that shares the same passion for positive change. Currently a team of 60 Gourmates, we have dozens of nationalities at the table! Our differences are our strengths and our common language is food.
At GOURMEY, you will report directly to David STURM, our Food Pilot Manager.
What will you be responsible for?
As a Food Technologist, your main accountability is to support our company mission by working the scale-up of our food formulas at the pilot level. The scale-up work includes the transition from bench-size protocols to pilot-size protocols. You will build the knowledge and expertise that will support the transition to industrial size. Solutions will be based on sustainable ingredients and processes, meaning rational use of energy, soil, fair practices, and low impact on the consumer.
- Scale-up work by planning and designing projects: define the pieces of equipment, raw materials, and human and financial resources needed; list the expected deliverables and establish the back-scheduling.
- Identify and assess manufacturing technologies that may be required at pilot and industrial to improve or upgrade our capabilities. Organize on-site or off-site trials to report Proof Of Concept, Perimeter of performance, or detailed technological evaluation.
- Sourcing and identifying ingredients’ suppliers and their offers in alignment with our sourcing policy for social and environmental impact. Select the main supply and backup supply at the pilot and industrial levels. Draft QC strategy for incoming raw material qualification. Collect supplier pricing strategy.
- Define analytical needs for the trial products made at the pilot scale. Identify additional QC methods that will be required at pilot and industrial scale and ensure their co-development with QC and Food Science.
- Write SOP for our toolkits and implement, when needed, required PPE, in good accordance with quality and HACCP considerations. Train Gourmates and users for new equipment under his/her responsibility.
- Actively participating in our Safety policy; building our safety guidelines for the food pilot, reporting near-misses and accidents, guiding and advising other team members and Gourmates on safety improvements and good practices. Having the right to know about hazards, the right to participate in health and safety new procedures, and the right to refuse unsafe work.
What about you?
- You have a proven practical experience in food technology and food formulation
- Your understanding of food ingredients and how they interact is quite impressive.
- You have a good knowledge of pilot equipment and analytical methods used in food processing, including filling and packing technologies.
- You’re comfortable using online collaborative tools (Google Docs / Slack / LabGuru Electronic lab notebook / Notion etc.) and own a solid basis in Excel and/or worksheet applications.
- Proficient in written and spoken English (B2 level). We are a highly international team; no need to speak French!
- Passionate about GOURMEY’s mission to bring to market delicious and sustainable foods through innovation
What do we offer?
You will join a fast-growing startup located in the center of Paris, with a global ambition to build the future of food through cutting-edge technologies in an inclusive work environment valuing the importance of work-life balance, **we offer:
- A challenging and rewarding role at the cutting edge of food technology.
- An opportunity to shape the future of sustainable food practices and innovation.
- Participation in Gourmey’s ESOP (Employee Stock option plan)
- An attractive company health insurance and work-life balance monitoring
- Since we are all foodies, we also offer a great kitchen, daily meal vouchers, and fresh fruits and nuts delivered weekly.
- Furthermore, we support sustainable transportation and offer extra compensation to those who cycle to work.
What is our recruitment process?
Inclusiveness is at the heart of everything we do at GOURMEY. By being transparent about each step of the process, and why we do things the way we do, we believe we can give all candidates a foretaste of GOURMEY’s culture. During the process, you will meet some of your team members in different parts of the recruitment process which will look like this:
- Interviews with our Talent Acquisition Manager, future colleagues, and manager.
- A remote case study in English to give you a taste of what we are working on at GOURMEY.
- A last interview on-site (when possible) to meet part of the team and visit the labs & office.
Want to know more about us?
We are a science, purpose, and engineering-driven company, founded in 2019 and now entering its next phase of growth after our recent fundraising.
We are dedicated to creating breakthrough technologies that will help address and push the boundaries of what’s possible – delivering innovations that benefit people and the planet. If you want to know more, have a look at our LinkedIn page, Career Site, Glassdoor reviews as well as the many press reviews (Bloomberg; Forbes).