Senior Software Engineer, Generalist
Gladly is the only customer service software built around people, not tickets. Gladly applies AI differently, to help brands deliver radically personal customer service at scale, enabling consumers to help themselves and turning customer service agents into heroes by making them more productive. Every conversation starts with a real-time understanding of the customer. With every channel built-in – voice, email, SMS, chat, social messaging, self-service – companies have one, lifelong conversation stream with their customers. The world’s most loved brands including Allbirds, Bombas, Crate & Barrel, Ulta Beauty, and Warby Parker leverage Gladly to build lifelong loyal customers.
Our team loves working at Gladly because of its people, continuous growth opportunities, all in commitment to DEIB, collaboration, and culture.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will report to the Engineering Manager. You will contribute and participate in all aspects of the project lifecycle, from ideation to release to measurement and iteration (sometimes in a leadership role).
We are looking for someone with the desire and curiosity to constantly learn and take initiative in a fast-paced SaaS company.
What You’ll Do On The Team:
- Code! You’ll design and code innovative, scalable, and fault-tolerant features
- Teach. Provide technical guidance and mentorship in software engineering best practices while demonstrating these as an individual contributor
- Collaborate. Work closely with small, nimble, cross-functional teams of engineers, product managers, designers, and business teams.
What You’ll Bring To The Team:
- 5+ years of full-stack engineering experience, with some leadership or mentorship experience.
- Strong teamwork skills; you love participating with high-performing teams of engineers.
- Customer-centricity and product focus. You look at everything you create through the lens of how it improves things for the end-customer. You are comfortable communicating how various technical approaches might impact product behavior (and vice versa).
- Competency with data structures, algorithms, software design, and cloud architectures.
- Willingness to work across the development stack. You should be able to work on the front-end, backend and platform with varying degrees of proficiency.
- Technical acumen. Our product is built on a lot of incredible technologies like React, Node, Go, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Kafka, Redis, Postgres, ElasticSearch, and Twilio. You know a thing or two about some of these, and you’re confident you can work with them comfortably after some on-boarding and a bit of practice.
- Quick and creative problem-solving skills
- A great attitude with the willingness to learn, maneuver through ambiguity, and collaborate with a growing team
- Strong written, verbal, organizational, and time management skills (efficiency is key)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, “do what it takes” startup culture
- Knowledge of Security Engineering best practices (e.g. encryption, auth, SSO)
- Experience working for high availability cloud providers that value personal information privacy and customer data confidentiality.
- Commitment to securing customer and Gladly confidential information, including proactive engagement with Gladly co-workers to raise awareness of potential security issues, concerns, or areas of improvement.
Research has shown that individuals from marginalized groups are less likely to apply to jobs where they don't meet 100% of the criteria. Gladly values diversity of experience, so if you believe you have the right skill set, we welcome you to apply - even if you don't check every box in the job description. We're committed to an inclusive workplace and would love to see if you could be the next great addition to our team.
$158,000 to $186,000 per annum base salary + equity + benefits
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Working at Gladly:
Putting people first is kind of our thing. Not only is it at the core of our product, but shapes our overall culture at Gladly—from our approach to hiring, to our benefits, and how we think about our place in the community.
We have embraced remote work and make it easy for our team to work from anywhere, but we also invest in opportunities to get the teams together in person regularly.
We have a strong work ethic, but value life outside of work, too.
- We win as one team: We believe the most important focus for us as a team is making the company successful.
- We are successful when our customers succeed: We are committed to understanding the needs and expectations of our customers. We provide an exceptional product along with expertise and insight to help achieve their goals.
- We believe in challenging the status quo: We know that our greatest strength is our ability to cultivate a growth mindset focused on reinventing customer service.
- We value underdog grit: Success isn't always about having the most resources or the most experience; it's about having the determination and grit to keep pushing forward especially when it’s hard.
- We strive to make every shot count: We will never have enough “shots on goal” so we strive to make every project, feature, customer presentation, the best it can be.
- We embrace transparency: We know the best outcomes come from collaboration followed by communication of and commitment to the decision.
Our focus is on people and that starts with our employees. As an employee you can count on:
- Competitive salaries, stock options
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Generous paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Home office stipends
Founded in 2014 by a team of repeat entrepreneurs with multiple successful exits, Gladly is reinventing customer service. By focusing on customers instead of tickets, we are disrupting a $70B market and are proud to count Crate and Barrel, Warby Parker and many other innovative brands as customers. Gladly has raised over $110M from Greylock Partners, NEA, GGV Capital, Glynn Capital and JetBlue Tech Ventures.
Gladly has made the decision to become a fully distributed company, allowing employees to live anywhere in the United States, and candidates to come from nearly any geographical region. That said, we also highly value our collaborative and creative culture and commit to meeting in real life as a company at least once per quarter when it is safe to do so.