Senior Data Engineer
Hi there 👋
As Factorial continues scaling our mission of boosting the next generation of people-first SMB’s, we’re hiring Senior Data Engineers to scale our Engineering team.
Factorial’s mission is to empower business make better decisions, and data is a key component in achieving so.
Our Team is responsible of unlocking communication between the different areas despite the technological stack by offering a self service platform that allows fast data driven products.
We act under the data mesh principle and we’re not afraid to build whatever is necessary to fulfil our neighbour team’s needs.
Our data platform is already offering the following services:
- Ingestion (SaaS APIs - Airbyte, DDBBs - Debezium, Streams - Kafka Connect)
- Storage (Data Lake - Delta, Stream Storage- Kafka)
- Catalogue (Atlan)
- Modeling (Metabolic)
- Activation (Hightouch)
- Exploration & Visualization (Superset)
- On demand Data Products (TinyBird)
We’re looking for Data Engineers to enable product and engineering teams use these and future services, and assist them in making data products a first class citizen.
At Factorial, we have a team of +150 very talented developers. We are looking for engineers who can wear many hats, abstract problems, and find creative solutions. We look for smart people who are curious, proactive and have good soft/communication skills.
We are not looking for a long list of skills and technologies. Our web stack is Ruby on Rails for the backend and React/React-native for the clients, and we interact with Data through SQL on AWS, but it’s not mandatory to be proficient in those (most of the team came with other areas of expertise which is very enriching). We believe that someone who has good aptitudes and is hungry for learning is what works best.
If you’re looking for new challenges in a people-first company without depending on where you live, this is what to expect:
- You will evangelise the use of our Data Platform among technical users and empower the creation of Factorial's next Data Products.
- You will listen, identify and evaluate new requirements from Stakeholders (Engineering, Product, Management, Sales, Customer Experience, Marketing, Growth).
- You will iterate and improve existing features of our platform as well as develop new ones.
- You will occasionally assist Data Analysts with their technical challenges.
- You will occasionally contribute in managing the platform from a DataOps point of view.
- You are a team player: You are comfortable helping your teammates, sharing your knowledge, reviewing their code and asking for reviews of your own.
- You have a user-centric mindset: You know that the only reason we write code is to help the users of Factorial to perform their tasks.
- You like relaxed and fun environments: We work hard and we are committed to Factorial users but we do that in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. We don't take ourselves too much seriously.
- You are a learner: You want to improve your skills not only in the engineering field but across any other areas.
- You are an owner: You like proposing new hypotheses and be responsible for building, deploying and validating them.
- You love understanding: Breaking down complex problems into basic and shareable elements and you have evolved concrete implementations to abstractions before.
- You are a polyglot developer: You have experience in several coding languages, CI/CD tools and cloud technologies.
- You are a mentor: You love to share your experience and expertise to help others grow.
- You are comfortable communicating in English.
- Experience in building a modern Data Platform.
- Functional programming in Scala (or any other JVM language).
- Spark development, especially Structured Streaming, or equivalent (Flink, Beam, Samza,...)
- Knowledge of the AWS Analytics Stack (Glue, S3, Athena, Redshift, Kinesis, Lake Formation)
- Advanced Analytical SQL knowledge.
- Some alternative coding experience, ideally with a background of web development.
- Some alternative infrastructure experience, ideally in Kubernetes.
- Some infrastructure as code experience, ideally with Terraform on Cloud.
- GitOps driven mentality and data CI/CD ideas.
At Factorial we don't evaluate you by the years of experience you have, we evaluate your knowledge and skills. How? We have a Career Path with a rubric framework where we define what is expected for each experience level and skill. This framework allows you to know at which level you're right now and what you need to keep growing. As we love transparency, our Career Path includes the salaries for each level and we share it during the first interview to make sure we're aligned.
For this senior-level position, the annual gross salary is 60,000€ regardless of your location. This includes a base salary of 51,000€ and a variable pay of up to 9,000€ anualy and paid monthly, depending on the company's goals.
To wrap up:
- We're looking for a Scala Data Engineers with Spark Streaming and Kafka experience.
- 60.000€ Salary ( Senior) + ESOP plan.
- 1.000€ of annual Learning and Development budget.
- A safe and diverse environment to grow and make an impact.
And when at the office:
- Syra discounts
- Breakfast and organic fruit
- Free caffeine and theine
- Pet-Friendly work environment
Is this you?! Come rock the world with us! 🚀 We #betonpeople 💜
About Factorial HR 🤓
Factorial is an company management software fast-growing startup founded in 2016. Our mission is to help companies automate HR workflows, centralise people data and make better business decisions. We currently serve thousands of customers in over 60 countries all over the world and across industries. We’ve built a super diverse and multicultural team of over +700 people in Barcelona, Brazil, Mexico and EEUU offices, in addition to the 150+ engineering team that is spread across the globe.
Do you want to know more about us? We've won awards and received outstanding customer feedback since day one. We’ve recently raised 120M€ in our series C funding, bringing us to unicorn valuation with top international venture capital firms (Atomico, Tiger, CRV, Creandum, K Fund to name a few).