Senior Legal Counsel
About the opportunity
This role is a unique opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to high-visibility, high-impact projects at a very exciting time for the company. Contentful is an innovative, high-growth, customer-focused company in a large and growing market. If you are a collaborative, energetic, self-managed professional with deep experience negotiating enterprise SaaS deals in a fast-paced environment, we would love to hear from you!
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to make an impact as we ramp to support Contentful’s rapidly expanding business. A significant part of the job will consist of reviewing, negotiating, and drafting agreements for sales transactions and supporting Contentful’s worldwide sales, customer experience, partnerships, and marketing, as well as supporting procurement across the company and new product expansion. This individual must be a self-motivated, solution-oriented team player with the ability to take a leadership role in identifying and resolving legal issues, drafting and negotiating contracts, and balancing legal and business concerns. Experience with issues pertaining to SaaS, data privacy, and cloud computing, including sales and support of products, procurement of tools and services, reseller and managed service provider programs, IP, commercial law, and revenue recognition is required. Candidates should work well in a fast-paced, challenging environment as part of a dynamic team of professionals and have the ability to communicate effectively in group settings and before senior management. This role will report directly to the VP, Deputy General Counsel, Go-To-Market.
What to expect?
- Work closely with the sales, customer experience, and partnerships teams on top strategic enterprise transactions that drive the company’s revenues
- Structure, negotiate, and close complex SaaS and commercial transactional agreements with a focus on outbound global agreements with enterprise customers and partners, such as master SaaS agreements, enterprise purchasing agreements, support agreements, data privacy agreements, partnership agreements, and reseller and managed service provider agreements
- Review and negotiate inbound vendor agreements
- As bandwidth permits, handle other issues and projects that arise in growing in-house legal departments
- Manage and prioritize multiple deals and agreements
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the field organization, deal desk, revenue operations, and other cross-functional internal stakeholders
- Develop and deliver playbooks, training, and other enablement assets on legal issues and contract processes
What you need to be successful?
- Juris Doctor Degree required from an ABA-accredited law school
- 10-15 years of SaaS and commercial technology transactions experience, preferably in-house with a successful, high-growth enterprise SaaS company
- Excellent negotiation skills with large enterprise companies and public sector
- Strong experience scaling sales and legal processes and policies for a rapidly growing organization
- Knowledge of worldwide data privacy regulations
- Exceptional tech savvy, organizational, project management, and prioritization skills
- Collaborative, highly responsive, and service-oriented attitude
- The ability to foster innovation and out of the box thinking
- The ability to execute strategically and tactically
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work with a wide variety of people, at all levels in the organization, in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated commitment and alignment with our Contentful values
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital experiences
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share ownership and the success of our company
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous amount of paid time off, including vacation days, education days, and volunteer days
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for information, support, discussion, and counseling for life’s challenges
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career. Join a free German class or one of our many internal learning initiatives!
- Use your physical fitness budget to get away from your desk and support your physical wellness
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- A monthly phone/internet stipend and phone upgrade reimbursement after 2 years
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Who are we?
Contentful is the intelligent composable content platform that unlocks all of an organization’s digital content to deliver impactful customer experiences, making content a strategic business asset. The Contentful Platform, Contentful Studio, and the Contentful Ecosystem combine the flexibility of composable content with the intelligence of AI, empowering digital teams to drive business momentum through collaboration, speed, and scale. Contentful powers innovative content experiences across brands, regions, and channels for organizations around the world, including nearly 30% of the Fortune 500. Nearly 800 people from more than 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
with any information you may have.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.