Software Engineer - Developer Experience
About the opportunity
As a Software Engineer on Contentful’s Developer Experience team, you will play a critical role in enhancing the overall developer experience by designing, developing, and maintaining developer tools such as Contentful’s App Framework, the Contentful CLI, client libraries/SDKs, and our many open-source packages (npm, rubygems, pip, etc). You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand the needs and pain points of our customers, and work towards providing effective solutions to enhance their productivity and satisfaction. Your expertise in creating seamless and intuitive developer experiences will play a direct role in Contentful’s growth and customer retention.
The ideal candidate will be someone that is passionate about building remarkable solutions that focus on making other developers’ lives easier. Experience with developer tooling, developer productivity, and maintaining public, open-source libraries is a plus.
What to expect?
- Developer Experience:
- Design and implement strategies that improve customer developer’s experience and tools/frameworks that streamline and enhance the end-to-end development process.
- Identify areas for improvement and implement best practices to optimize developer productivity, efficiency, and satisfaction.
- Collaborate with UX/UI designers to create intuitive and user-friendly interfaces for developers.
- Developer Tools and SDKs:
- Develop and maintain high-quality developer tools, libraries, and SDKs to enable seamless integration and interaction with our platforms.
- Continuously enhance existing tools and SDKs based on feedback and evolving developer needs.
- Stay updated with industry trends and emerging technologies to ensure our tools and SDKs remain cutting-edge and provide a remarkable developer experience.
- Package Management:
- Design and implement efficient package management systems to facilitate easy dependency management, versioning, and distribution of software components.
- Collaborate with internal teams to define package management requirements and ensure seamless integration with existing development workflows.
- Conduct performance analysis and optimization of package management systems to ensure scalability and reliability.
- Technical Leadership:
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to other engineers, fostering an inclusive, collaborative, and innovative work environment.
- Conduct code reviews and ensure adherence to coding standards, best practices, and quality guidelines.
- Stay up-to-date with advancements in developer tools, industry trends, and emerging technologies to drive innovation and maintain a competitive edge.
- Community Engagement:
- Engage with customer developers in order to stay connected with the struggles they face and help inform the team’s work and priorities.
- Monitor and respond to Contentful’s existing and prospective customers to obtain feedback, help drive the product vision, and find areas of opportunity and innovation.
What you need to be successful?
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field or equivalent relevant experience.
- Proven experience and in-depth knowledge as a Software Engineer with a focus on developer experience, developer tools/SDKs, and package management systems.
- Strong proficiency in TypeScript, React, Node.
- Experience designing and developing developer tools, libraries, and SDKs.
- Experience working with high-availability APIs, with microservice architecture, and with globally distributed systems.
- Familiarity with deployment, observability, and monitoring tooling and frameworks.
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies and continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams in both synchronous and asynchronous environments.
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital experiences
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share ownership and the success of our company
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous amount of paid time off, including vacation days, education days, and volunteer days
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for information, support, discussion, and counseling for life’s challenges
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career. Join a free German class or one of our many internal learning initiatives!
- Use your physical fitness budget to get away from your desk and support your physical wellness
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- A monthly phone/internet stipend and phone upgrade reimbursement after 2 years
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Colorado Salary Statement: The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for the role. Any offered salary is determined based on internal equity, internal salary ranges, market data/ranges, applicant's skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications (e.g. JD/technology), for example.
Colorado Salary Range: $140,000 - $146,000
[This position is eligible for equity awards in accordance with the terms of Contentful’s equity plans.]
Who are we?
Contentful is the leading content platform that powers digital experiences for over 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Shopify, Staples, Atlassian, Electronic Arts, Chanel, Roche, Vodafone use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice-controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and we have secured over $330 million in funding from top-tier partners such as Tiger Global, Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 750 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
with any information you may have.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.