Director, Product Design
Algolia is on a mission to empower every company to create delightful Search & Discovery experiences. We power over 1.5 trillion searches a year, for more than 17,000 customers from 100+ countries.
We’re looking for a Director of Product Design to lead our talented design organisation, shape and mature our craft, and work hand-in-hand with Product, Research, and Engineering teams to make user-centric and business impactful decisions. This is an exciting opportunity for you to own a mission-critical team which has a huge impact on the company. Join our team and take ownership of this initiative, work collaboratively with your partners, and drive it to success with a clear vision and strategy.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead the Product Design team and oversee all aspects of product design, including interaction design, information architecture, writing, visual design, service design, design systems, and prototyping.
- Be a strong partner in assessing the usability, viability, and feasibility of Algolia’s products and features.
- Partner with the Research & Insights Team to ensure that your team can conduct generative user research and usability testing to inform and validate design and product decisions.
- Coach, sponsor, and mentor a globally distributed team of product designers, providing guidance, support and interventional assistance to ensure they meet their goals and objectives. Be a strong ally in developing their career and craft.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to align and execute on shared business goals through user-centric work.
- Define and maintain design standards and guidelines to ensure consistency and quality across all products and platforms. Be a foundational partner in uplevelling our design system and UX infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of our product, market, and competitors to ensure our design solutions are innovative and effective
- Manage multiple design projects simultaneously and ensure they are delivered on time and with buy-in of your cross functional team.
- Present design solutions and progress to stakeholders and senior management, soliciting feedback and buy-in as needed
- Use transversal leadership skills to influence all relevant stakeholders to drive success for the customer and promote a customer-first culture throughout the organisation.
- Partner with Research Leadership to create a shared UX culture and practice across teams
You might be a fit if you can demonstrate:
- 7+ years of experience in Product Design management, with a track record of success leading and managing technical design teams. Experience managing design managers will be valuable in this role.
- 7+ years of experience in hands-on product design. An understanding of user-centric design principles and methodologies, with experience in user research, usability testing, interaction design, information architecture, writing, design systems, visual design, service design, prototyping, and quantitative research and analysis.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong relationships and collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to think creatively and strategically
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to deliver successful product launches and achieve business goals.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly articulate complex ideas and influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Big picture thinking, while still applying attention to the details.
- Drive, with an ownership mentality. Ability to thoughtfully escalate issues and reconcile multiple viewpoints to drive alignment that benefits the business and our customers.
Nice to have:
- Experience at our current stage and beyond (10,000+ customers, $200-500M ARR range, high growth, lots of change and building internal infrastructure).
- Experience managing remote teams is a plus
- Familiarity with search and discovery technologies.
- Familiarity with ML/AI technologies.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment.
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Austin, Sydney and Bucharest. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 12,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, New York, Austin, Atlanta, Sydney and Bucharest. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!
Something looks off?