EMEA: Senior Data Engineer
This position offers flexible remote work options. If your location is not specified in this job description, feel free to inquire about its eligibility.
We’re on a mission to make Algolia a data-driven organisation, and we’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our Data team and help us get there.
Our Data team aims at helping other teams make better decisions by providing relevant data while ensuring its integrity and its consistency. This team has a significant impact as we work closely with business analysts on our Operations, Marketing, Product and Infrastructure teams to help them discover meaningful trends.
Our data team is composed of a Data Engineering team (building pipelines and scaling the Lake & Warehouse), an Analytics Engineering team (building standardised data models) and Data Analysts.
As a member of the Data Engineering team, your daily responsibilities will include:
- Developing data pipelines and ETL workflows mainly with Python, Airflow (AWS MWAA), Spark (AWS Glue, EMR), other AWS services managed with Terraform.
- Improving and maintaining our data warehouse (AWS Redshift).
- Support the Analytics Engineering team to build data models with dbt to be used by Analysts on business reports.
- Interacting with Engineering and Business teams to understand requirements.
We maintain an open-minded approach and eagerly embrace experimentation with new technologies to achieve our goals and we try to continuously challenge our choices on that topic. You will have the opportunity to make some decisions going in that direction.
As a senior joining the team, your goal will also be to mentor junior engineers and help them grow to be successful at Algolia.
With Algolia’s rapid growth, there will be many data-related challenges that will need to be tackled!
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Design, build, enrich, scale up our data pipelines.
- Work with engineers, data analysts, business analysts to capture and model data.
- Monitor data integrity and growth.
- Help improve our data lake and data warehouse architecture, to increase performance, simplicity and autonomy of the users.
- Help analysts industrialise reports and dashboards to improve company productivity.
- Ensure every product is released with a data-driven approach.
You might be a good fit if you have...
- Strong experience designing and building data pipelines.
- Experience orchestrating pipelines with Airflow.
- Professional knowledge of Python.
- Strong experience working with cloud platforms and architecting them.
- Strong experience with data warehouses.
- Experience about infrastructure topics specific to data engineering.
- Interest in Big Data challenges (~600Tb of data, +14Tb per week, ~700M files, +1,2M per week, ~300 dbt models, ~70 Airflow DAGs)
- Interest in understanding the data and business requirements.
- An authorisation to work in the EU.
- Excellent spoken and written English skills.
- You are humble, curious, proactive, and strike a balance between creativity, resourcefulness, and pragmatism.
Nice to have...
- Experience using and managing AWS Redshift.
- Experience with a parallel data processing framework such as Apache Spark.
- Experience analysing data quality using dbt.
- Experience at our current stage and beyond ($50-200M ARR range, high growth, lots of change and building internal infrastructure).
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Austin, Sydney and Bucharest. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 12,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, New York, Austin, Atlanta, Sydney and Bucharest. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!
Something looks off?